Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Food up High

Food.  A necessity.  Especially to my husband.  And now, my baby girl!  Usually, I can handle making a dinner here and there.  Usually, I can handle making breakfast, lunch & dinner most days of the week.  Granted, the last few months at home I was in my first trimester of pregnancy and living with my mother-in-law which meant I never had to cook anything.  They really took care of me! 

Well, now that we are out on our own again, and far far away from home, I'm back to cooking for my family.  I do have to admit that cooking isn't my favorite pastime.  I'd much rather be playing with Arabella or sewing or snuggled up on the couch with Drew.  But, like I said, food is a necessity, so I'm happy to cook for my family. 

BUT (yes, you knew it was coming!), everything I cook out here (or UP here) in Albuquerque just isn't turning out.  I've never cooked on a gas range/oven before, or in a mile high altitude, so I blame both for my recent kitchen incapability.  Simple chicken breast baked in the oven took twice as long as I would have cooked it back home.  I can barely manage spaghetti on this stove!  And even our microwave hates me and is burning holes in the popcorn bags!  Needless to say, we've eaten plenty of turkey sandwiches. 

I'm on to googling and researching about high altitude cooking and baking.  And cooking with gas.  We've been here for a month now and things are getting a little bit better.  (Spaghetti was great last night, but that's probably the easiest thing I'll ever make!).  I think I'm getting used to my oven and stove, and I'm sure one day I'll figure my kitchen out.

Hopefully soon some of you can visit and I'll surprise you with an amazing meal made by me in my kitchen way up/out here and Albuquerque!  And, if it stinks, we do have Red Robin!

No comments:

Post a Comment